Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Fault in our Stars, by John Green

okay so the books that im reading atm aren't really that post-worthy so im going to blog about some of my favorite books that i've already read. so im going to be talking about The Fault in our Stars, which is one of my most favoritest (yes that's a word dont argue with me this is my blog) books ever asdfghjkl its so perfect and heartbreaking and funny and beautiful and asdfghjkl. "Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book." thats the kind of book this is. (if you thought that was too deep for me to have written then 1. thanks for your faith in my writing skills and 2. you're right i didnt write it, thats a quote from this book) if you havent read it yet stop reading this right now, turn off your computer or ipod or whatever, and read it. now. you have to. okay? okay. <- lol that was a reference to this book hahahahaha im so funny i crack myself up (that was sarcasm but yeah it was pretty genius)
so anyway. this book isnt part of a series, and its by john green (the most amazing perfect hilarious genius person to ever walk this earth ever... like ever) (that was a taylor swift reference to those of you who understood that) and yeah hes just kind of the best. so anyway heres the book cover:
and yeah. so since its not a series theres no background info or ship updates *tears* yes i know its so sad but now im going to tell you what its about and if you havent already then you hAVE TO READ IT OKAY? OKAY. (lol i did it again) like i told alisha to read it like last month and she still hasnt finished it because its "boring" but she's wroNG OKAY? OKAY.(omg guys im so good at this) so anwyay dont be an alisha.read the book. okay? okay. (im on a roll guys)


 Summary:

so the book is written from the perspective of a girl named Hazel Grace, and she has lung cancer and basically her lungs keep filling up with fluid and she has to carry this little cart with oxygen in it around everywhere. so she meets this boy named Augustus Waters (i love him okay? okay. (again!!!)  <3) and he had cancer but now he's all better but he has a fake leg and you know what happens next hint hint wink wink nudge nudge and so basically they bond over this book by Peter van Houten called An Imperial Affliction. and then

SPOILER ALERT EVEN THOUGH I TOLD YOU TO STOP READING AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS POST IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK YET BUT IF YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT THINKS THEY'RE TOO COOL FOR RULES THEN THINK AGAIN CUZ NOT ON MY BLOG YOU'RE NOT SO IF YOU ARE STILL READING I DONT KNOW WHAT EXACTLY YOU THINK YOU'RE ACCOMPLISHING. GO. READ. NOW.

they go to amsterdam to meet him and he actually turns out to be a drunken arrogant obnoxious little jerk but that's besides the point because then when they come back augustus tells hazel that actually he has cancer that is significantly worse than her cancer (even though before this they both kind of assumed that hazel would die first cuz hers was worse but actually it seems like that was not the case) and that is most likely probably going to kill him. so they spend a bunch of time together and then augustus dies and yeah actually its not a very eventful book that's pretty much it.

My overall opinion

 overall its 2384659823045/10 yoU HAVE TO READ IT. and yeah my favorite character would either be isaac cuz hes so funny omg i love him or augustus because hes also really funny and because he's so sarcastic and sometimes he just has these deep thoughts and yeah augustus waters is a beautiful person whY DOES HE HAVE TO DIE. the story isnt amazingly geniusly unique or anything but its so incredibly well written (john green is a genius) and its DEEP MAN. LIKE EXISTENTIAL PONDERINGS DEEP. and speeeaaking of deepness depth this book is probably the most quotable (omg thats a word i didnt know that. well im guessing its a word since spell check didnt have a problem with it) book ever and some of my favorite quotes come from it. 
fun fact: the books title is based on this quote:
"Men at some time are masters of their fates
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars
but in ourselves, that we are underlings"
-Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

(thats probably not in correct quote format and stuff im sorry mr rossow (dishonor on me, dishonor on my family, dishonor on my cow)(mulan reference)) wow thats a lot of parentheses that looks confusing but im not going to fix it cuz yall are smart enough to figure it out.
but you would know that if you'd already read the book so if you're reading this right now YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW THAT. (dont try and trick me i know everything i see everything this is my blog) and yeah so here are my favorite ones from this book (in no particular order)
  •  I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once. 
  •  My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations
  •  "That's the thing about pain," Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. "It demands to be felt"
  •   "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.” 
  •  Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.
  • The marks humans leave are too often scars.  
  •  The world is not a wish-granting factory.
  •  Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you
  •  Augustus Waters was a self-aggrandizing bastard. But we forgive him. We forgive him not because he had a heart as figuratively good as his literal one sucked, or because he knew more about how to hold a cigarette than any nonsmoker in history, or because he got eighteen years when he should've gotten more.'
    'Seventeen,' Gus corrected.
    'I'm assuming you've got some time, you interupting bastard.
    'I'm telling you,' Isaac continued, 'Augustus Waters talked so much that he'd interupt you at his own funeral. And he was pretentious: Sweet Jesus Christ, that kid never took a piss without pondering the abundant metaphorical resonances of human waste production. And he was vain: I do not believe I have ever met a more physically attractive person who was more acutely aware of his own physical attractiveness.
    'But I will say this: When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him.'
    I was kind of crying by then
  • You are so busy being YOU that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are.
  • It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing.
  • But it is the nature of stars to cross, and never was Shakespeare more wrong than when he has Cassius note, ‘The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves.
  • There is no shortage of fault to be found amid our stars.
  • But, in fact, depression is not a side effect of cancer. Depression is a side effect of dying.
  • And I wondered if hurdlers ever thought, you know, 'This would go faster if we just got rid of the hurdles.

and then of course: 
  • Okay? Okay.
and many many more that i am far far far too lazy to add.
yeah i know thats a lot but they're good quotes and they're all hipstery and deep and yeah
so if you're still reading this and you still haven't read the book
  1.  i hope you will soon because it really is amazing and yes i did cry a lot when i was reading this (i haVE NO SHAME)
  2. you're a rule breaker. i like you. 
  3. now get off my blog and start reading. okay? okay. (laST TIME I SWEAR)
and heres a picture of my copy:


loOOK ITS SIGNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOHN GREEN SIGNED MY BOOK!!! THAT MEANS HE HAS PHYSICALLY TOUCHED MY BOOOOKK AND BY DOING SO ACKNOWLEDGED ITS EXISTENCE AND THEREFORE INDIRECTLY ACKNOWLEDGED MY EXISTENCE!!!!!! but i wasnt there when it was signed it was bought like that by my wonderful amazing friend maryam who gave it to me for my birthday (thank you maryam ily)


^and there is another genius quote of his to end this post.
 it is isnt it.


If you have a request for a blog post, feel free to ask for it in the comments :) (note: it may take me a while because i may not have read the book yet) (but i probably have)





3 comments:

  1. this is seriously the best book ever like im not even kidding bc i say that a lot but this literally is

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have watched the rantings of that guy you have at the end. Also, I'm hearing a lot of buzz about that book. I guess I have no choice, but to buy it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I NEED TO READ THIS!!! My cousin was telling me that it is a must read. I'm still trying to get my hands on a copy, though.

    ReplyDelete